Pelle the Conqueror is a wonderful, almost flawless movie as far as acting, cinematography, score, storytelling, and so on is concerned. The filming on the Danish island of Bornholm is outstanding. It won Best Foreign Film honors at the Academy Awards and was nominated for Best Picture.
In this film, Max Von Sydow, who always plays well, gave what may well be the best performance of his career. While the story in Pelle, written by Danish author Andersen Nexo, is a tough and difficult story with a somewhat sad ending, it is never the less spellbinding. A major reason is Max Von Sydow.
Von Sydow plays the widower father of 12-year-old Pelle Hvenegaard, who all his life wants to give his son a better life than the one he lives. Both the book and the movie are excellent; I have read the book and seen the movie and I was moved and fascinated by both, and greatly enjoyed both of them!
- Actors: Pelle Hvenegaard, Max von Sydow, Erik Paaske, Björn Granath, Astrid Villaume
- Directors: Bille August
- Writers: Bille August, Bjarne Reuter, Martin Andersen Nexø, Per Olov Enquist
- Producers: Per Holst
- Format: Color, DVD, Widescreen, NTSC
- Language: Swedish, English
- Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only.)
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
- Number of discs: 1
- Rated: PG-13 (Parental Guidance Suggested)
- Studio: 20th Century Fox
- DVD Release Date: June 1, 2004
- Run Time: 150 minutes