Evil (Ondskan) is based on a partly autobiographical novel by one of Sweden’s most famous novelists, Jan Guillou. It is not a horror movie, but rather an intelligent and very interesting movie from Sweden.
Evil was nominated for an Oscar in the foreign language category in 2004. The film is directed by Mikael Håfström.
Evil tells the story of Eric Ponti, a troubled 16 year old in the 1950’s, who is thrown out of his school for violent behavior and is sent to a Swedish boarding school to finish his degree. Eric’s step-father is extremely abusive and aggressive, and strongly influences his behavior.
We follow Eric as he takes on his new environment and is exposed to a fraternity style hierarchy. The movie calls into question where “evil” behavior originates. What evil behavior is innate to the individual? What evil behavior is caused by years of perpetuation of social stigmas and miserable traditions based on classist hierarchies?
Andreas Wilson who plays the main character Eric Ponti gives an extremely memorable and believable performance. In fact, all the actors in this film are amazing.
A great movie, highly recommended.
- Actors: Andreas Wilson, Henrik Lundström, Gustaf Skarsgård, Linda Zilliacus, Jesper Salén
- Directors: Mikael Håfström
- Writers: Mikael Håfström, Hans Gunnarsson, Jan Guillou, Klas Östergren
- Producers: H.P. Lundh, Hans Lönnerheden, Ingemar Leijonborg
- Format: Closed-captioned, Colour, Dolby, DVD-Video, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
- Language Finnish, Swedish
- Subtitles: English, Spanish
- Region: Region 1 (US and Canada DVD formats.)
- Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
- Number of discs: 1
- Classification: Unrated (US MPAA rating. See details.)
- Studio: Magnolia Home Entertainment
- DVD Release Date: 27 Jun 2006
- Run Time: 113 minutes